Image: "Join the Campaign!"

Image: "Contact Congress."

Stock Gifts

If you own stock and sell it, any increase in stock value from the time you purchased it until the time you sell it counts as taxable income in the year you sell it. But if, instead of selling your stock, you donate it to a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, such as the Peace Tax Foundation, the increase in value does not count as taxable income. Furthermore, the total gift can be deducted from the rest of your taxable income. This is a rare case where one can "double dip" by taking advantage of tax laws friendly to charitable giving.

If you transfer stock to a non-deductible [501(c)(4)] organization, such as NCPTF, you do not have to pay capital gains taxes on the stock, but you are not eligible for a charitable deduction for the value of the stock itself.

If you would like to donate stock, please call Executive Director Jack Payden-Travers at 202–483–3751 (Washington, D.C.) or 888–PEACETAX (tax-free), or contact him by e-mail at Jack **at** peacetaxfund **dot** org.